What is an IP Rating?
IP stands for Ingress Protection. An IP rating describes the protection a fitting or device has from the intrusion of Solid and Liquid material.
The letters, IP, are always followed by two numbers. Each number represents a further individual rating. The first number represents Solids such as small tools, fingers and dust. The second number represents Liquids such as water droplets, spray and condensation.
- An IP44 rated fitting would be used in an area that might get sprayed or rained on such as an outdoor light fitting or a bathroom light fitting.
- An IP68 rated fitting or device would allow the item to be fully submerged in water such as washable keyboards, mice and rugged phones.
Why is it important to me?
By understanding what IPXX means, a purchaser can choose a device based on the end-use requirements. A mining company may look for devices that totally protects against dust whereas a Healthcare facility may look for devices that can be easily cleaned and able to handle water and heavy cleaning. Someone in the general public will not need this same level of protection.
Solids (1st Number)
- 0 No Protection
- 1 Protected against objects >50mm (hands)
- 2 Protected against objects >12mm (fingers)
- 3 Protected against objects >2.5mm (tools/wires)
- 4 Protected against objects >1mm (small tools)
- 5 Protected against dust, limited ingress
- 6 Totally protected against dust
- 7 N/A
- 8 N/A
Liquids (2nd Number)
- 0 No Protection
- 1 Protection against dripping water or condensation
- 2 Protection against water spray 15 degrees from vertical
- 3 Protection against water spray 60 degrees from vertical
- 4 Protection against water spray from all directions
- 5 Protection against low pressure jets of water
- 6 Protection against high pressure water jets and heavy seas
- 7 Protection against the effects of immersion (6 inches to 3.3 feet)
- 8 Protected against immersion
Examples of HPA products with IP ratings
|4 Protected against objects >1mm (small tools) 3 Protection against water spray 60 degrees from vertical|
|Derungs Triango 30|
|Derungs Triango 100|
|4 Protected against objects >1mm (small tools) 4 Protection against water spray from all directions|
|Derungs Zera Bath Wall Mounted Light|
|Derungs Venera LED Bath Wall Mounted Light|
|6 Totally protected against dust 5 Protection against low pressure jets of water|
|Rugged Tablet GNSS 301X-TR|
|Rugged Tablet 301X|
|Medical Grade Tablet 313T-MD|
|Downtime UPS Computer 524T|
|22” Medical Grade Computer 592|
|24” Medical Grade Computer 594|
|6 Totally protected against dust 7 Protection against the effects of immersion (6 inches to 3.3 feet)|
|32” Medical PC|
|Adesso AKB-630U Keyboard|
|6 Totally protected against dust 8 Protected against immersion|
|Rugged Mobile Phone A9|
|Rugged Mobile Phone X3|
|Wamee Washable keyboard|
|Wamee Washable mouse|